Jesus Is Lord, A Worshipping Christian's Blog

Given to the worship of our Lord, Jesus Christ, who came to earth, lived sinless, died as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins, was raised from the dead and rules from heaven at the right hand of God. All comments are welcome (keep them civil). You may post questions, prayer request and comments about almost anything. Please sign my guestbook.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". John 14:6

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me." John 9:36-37

Jesus is Lord - A Worshipping Christian's Blog has moved. If you are not automatically redirected, please click here.

Jesus is Lord - How To Be Saved

Verse of the Day


Lookup a word or passage in the Bible


BibleGateway.com
Google

Monday, December 12, 2005

Mary Visits Elizabeth

Luke 1:39-45 New International Version (NIV)

Mary Visits Elizabeth

At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, where she entered Zechariah's home and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. In a loud voice she exclaimed: "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my Sunday School room when I was little, there were pictures of Bible scenes posted all around the room. There were pictures of Jesus playing with children, Daniel in the lion’s den, Paul and Silas being freed from jail, and a picture of Mary in a brightly lit room talking to an angel. The picture of Mary and the angel always intrigued me.
We know that an angel came to Mary and told her that she would give birth to the Messiah. But I wonder, why this girl? The angel Gabriel told her she “found favor with God” (Luke 1:30), but what was so special about her that God chose her to be Mother to His only son. The Old Testament tells us that the Messiah would be born as a descendant of David, which Mary and Joseph were both descendants of David. Other than her lineage, I find what I believe are the two most important reasons God chose Mary. First, she knew God intimately. Luke 1:46-55 show us Mary’s deep devotion and knowledge of the God she worshipped. Second, she was available to God. Mary could have given a thousand excuses (I.e. you’ve got the wrong girl, my fiancée will leave me, my parents will be so angry, motherhood is not my gift, etc., etc., etc.). But what did she say? “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May it be to me as you have said” (Luke 1:38). In other words, “Okay, I will do whatever you ask me to do no matter how difficult or what other people may think - I am yours”. I shudder to think how I would have reacted.
We don’t know many details of the birth, but I can picture Joseph trying to make a cattle stall as comfortable as possible for his wife. I picture a nervous and tired Mary wondering not only what it will be like to give birth, but also wondering what kind of mother she will be. God trusted her with His only son, so she must have been completely overwhelmed with the task of raising Him. I feel like God’s choice of Mary for the mother of His son was and is His way of saying to us that it doesn’t matter what our circumstance, if we desire to know Him intimately and are willing to serve Him, He will use us for his glory in ways we could never imagine.

12/12/2005 08:23:00 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I think you are absolutely correct that God will take the most unlikely person and use them to bring Glory to Him. Take Moses for example. He begged God not to select him because he wasn’t eloquent enough to sway Pharaoh into letting the people go. God used him anyway and was able to show the world his majesty.
God knew at the beginning of time who would bear the Lord and keep Him until adulthood. Mary and Joseph were truly blessed to have been chosen for that task.
No matter who we are, God will use us to spread his Word and Glorify Him.

12/13/2005 06:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home