Jesus Is Lord, A Worshipping Christian's Blog

Given to the worship of our Lord, Jesus Christ, who came to earth, lived sinless, died as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins, was raised from the dead and rules from heaven at the right hand of God. All comments are welcome (keep them civil). You may post questions, prayer request and comments about almost anything. Please sign my guestbook.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". John 14:6

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me." John 9:36-37

Jesus is Lord - A Worshipping Christian's Blog has moved. If you are not automatically redirected, please click here.

Jesus is Lord - How To Be Saved

Verse of the Day


Lookup a word or passage in the Bible


BibleGateway.com
Google

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

'Emergency' Bill Would Suspend UAE Port Deal

I have to split with the President on this one (and were border control and homeland security are concerned, we split often). There should be no way that we put an islamic country in charge of our ports...Period!!

(CNSNews.com) - With the issue gaining political traction in this election year, lawmakers in both parties are scrambling to criticize -- and now to block -- a deal that would give the United Arab Emirates control of major U.S. ports.
On Tuesday afternoon, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) will announce "emergency legislation" to block the $6.8 billion deal.
Dubai Ports World, a company that is owned and operated by the United Arab Emirates, is buying a British company that currently controls most operations at six ports on the East Coast, including New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Miami and New Orleans.
The Department of Homeland Security screens a small percentage of the cargo coming in and out of those ports. But the port operator is responsible for the rest of the cargo, the port facility itself, and it also hires security personnel, Schumer and King noted.
They are among a growing number of lawmakers who object to having such critical functions being transferred to an Arab country, given concerns about terrorist infiltration.
The Bush administration considers the United Arab Emirates to be a key ally in the war on terror, but al Qaeda used its banking system to finance the 9/11 attacks, press reports said, and two of the 9/11 hijackers came from the U.A.E.
The port deal, which is supposed to be final on March 2, was approved by a U.S. government panel led by Treasury Secretary John Snow. The panel in question -- the Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S. -- includes representatives from 11 other federal agencies.
Such deals do not require congressional approval.


Read the rest
here.

Update:
The president has threatened to veto the emergency bill.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe Bush has lost his mind on this one. I have lost some confidence in him because of his stand on this issue. I heard this morning on the Unfair and Unbalanced Network that the White house is now saying that the Prseident didnt know anything about this agreement until it had already been approved. I ask, how is that possible? And even if it is possible, what does that say about President Bush? I am very dissapointed. We might as well send engraved invitations and air fare to all terrorists.

2/22/2006 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Me too. If he doesn't quit doing this type of thing to his base, the Republicans can kiss the White House good-bye in 2008, and Congress before that!!
I think the White House is now trying to do damage control by saying he didn't know about it before it happened.
Grrrr...

2/22/2006 12:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that it is my prediction (not my hope)that there will be a democrat in office in '08. I believe that there are too many people who hate Bush/Cheney for the Dems to let the chance pass. They will come out with a "cant lose" candidate (and it wont be Hillary). just my prediction - we'll see if it comes to pass.

2/22/2006 03:58:00 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I'm afraid you are correct. How sad it will be that the Republicans have once again sqandered their lead. It takes so long to undo the damage the democrates do when they are in office. I hope that I am wrong though about the Republicans loosing.

2/23/2006 06:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home