Jesus Is Lord, A Worshipping Christian's Blog

Given to the worship of our Lord, Jesus Christ, who came to earth, lived sinless, died as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins, was raised from the dead and rules from heaven at the right hand of God. All comments are welcome (keep them civil). You may post questions, prayer request and comments about almost anything. Please sign my guestbook.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". John 14:6

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me." John 9:36-37

Jesus is Lord - A Worshipping Christian's Blog has moved. If you are not automatically redirected, please click here.

Jesus is Lord - How To Be Saved

Verse of the Day


Lookup a word or passage in the Bible


BibleGateway.com
Google

Thursday, February 23, 2006

International health experts express concern over unprecedented bird flu spread

If this continues to grow and mutate, it could be a very great concern for all of us.

GENEVA - International health experts have expressed concern over the unprecedented spread of bird flu from Asia to Europe and Africa, but said the spotlight is on Indonesia because of its continuing high infection rate among people and poultry.
Fourteen countries - from India to Nigeria and Egypt - have reported their first cases of birds infected with the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu since the beginning of February, the World Health Organization said.
“It’s absolutely unprecedented,” WHO spokeswoman Maria Cheng told The Associated Press on Tuesday. “We’ve never seen so many outbreaks of the same virus in so many different regions, and our concern obviously is that humans could potentially come into contact with birds infected with H5N1, which would mean populations worldwide are potentially at risk.”
WHO says it remains difficult for humans to catch H5N1. The agency has confirmed 170 human cases, including 92 deaths, since 2003 - mostly in east Asia. But WHO experts fear that the virus could mutate into a form that is easily transmitted from person to person, and that that could set off a flu pandemic.
Many of the locations of recent outbreaks were in Europe, where wild birds have tested positive for the disease. But poultry cases in India, Egypt and Nigeria are causing international health authorities more concern because of the close contact chickens and other domestic fowl can have with humans who keep them around their homes, increasing the chance of the disease jumping the species barrier.
“At the moment we don’t have very good information about how extensive these outbreaks are,” said Cheng. “Certainly cases like India and Egypt where population density is quite high and people tend to keep birds at home, that’s a concern.”


Read the rest here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am no rocket scientist and I am definitely not a doctor. I have a degree in business management, so I'm not really qualified to give medical opinions. However, God has blessed me with a very valuable gift - it's called common sense. Using the gift of common sense that God blessed me with, I have some to the determination that we should stop all international travel to and from the US. Yes, this may sound extreme, but I believe this bird flu epidemic is even more extreme. We should do everything possible to stop this from entering our country. If people would just stay at home (I mean in the US - not their individual homes), it may prevent the spread of bird flu to the US. If nothing else, why not quarantine any incoming citizens or visitors for a period of time until we are sure that they have not been exposed to the virus. I know this may make me sound like a total extremist nut, but I truly feel that we are on the brink of a pandemic that could (and probably will) kill hundreds of thousands of people. Why risk it? I also believe our government is not taking this thing seriously enough. I bet if some of our "leaders" in Washington came down with a "nasty kill-ya" case of bird flu, something would be done immediately.

2/23/2006 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

My common sense tells me much the same thing, but we all know that human nature, at least for Americans, is not to get too concerned about something until it interrupts "Monday Night Football", "American Idol" or the latest rerun of "Sex and the City". Of couse by then it will be too late and thousands if not millions will be condemed to die a horrible death from the mutated bird flu virus.
Makes no sense to me why people are so dense.

2/23/2006 03:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home