Jesus Is Lord, A Worshipping Christian's Blog

Given to the worship of our Lord, Jesus Christ, who came to earth, lived sinless, died as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins, was raised from the dead and rules from heaven at the right hand of God. All comments are welcome (keep them civil). You may post questions, prayer request and comments about almost anything. Please sign my guestbook.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". John 14:6

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me." John 9:36-37

Jesus is Lord - A Worshipping Christian's Blog has moved. If you are not automatically redirected, please click here.

Jesus is Lord - How To Be Saved

Verse of the Day


Lookup a word or passage in the Bible


BibleGateway.com
Google

Thursday, January 05, 2006

California Couple Ditch Kids, Fly to Vegas

Now if this just don't beat anything I've seen lately!! These folks are just plumb stupid.

MANTECA, Calif. — A married couple who got a dog sitter for their puppies but left the man's young children home alone while they vacationed in Las Vegas were arrested Wednesday, police said.
Jacob Calero, 39, and Michelle De La Vega, 32, were taken into custody as they arrived home on a flight to Oakland. They had left town Friday to celebrate the new year, authorities said.
The couple apparently told 9-year-old Joshua to look after his 5-year-brother, Jason, who is autistic. The children spent one night alone before police found them.
The grandmother, Libbey Holden, said she called police because she had suspected the couple left the children at home in
San Ramon, about 35 miles east of San Francisco.
"I had big concerns," Holden said. "These kids are helpless."
Joshua said his father and stepmother got each other puppies for Christmas, which they brought to De La Vega's mother to care for before leaving town.
"I thought they loved them more than us," Joshua told The Associated Press during an interview at his maternal grandmother's apartment. The children's mother died in 2003.
He added that he and his brother ate cereal for breakfast and cooked frozen dinners in the microwave.
"I didn't know who I could call in an emergency. Even if I called my father, he's far away, so there wouldn't be much he could do,"
Calero and De La Vega each were being held on suspicion of two felony counts each of child endangerment. Bail was set at $200,000.
Police found the children asleep in their beds Saturday night. A gas fireplace was on, but they found nothing out of the ordinary.
"It appears that the food and the environment were set up for them to be alone," San Ramon Police Sgt. Brian Kalinowski said.
Officers began calling Calero's cell phone Saturday, but he didn't call back until Tuesday.
"We get the sense that they felt no urgency for them to return home," Kalinowski said.
Calero and De La Vega have requested lawyers and have refused to talk to police, Kalinowski said. Felony child endangerment carries a maximum sentence of six years in prison.
Calero is a plumber and De La Vega works in a dental office, police said.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so sad when people (any people, not just these) wuold put an animal before a human (especially their children). This is a sick world we live in. There are millions of people who would love to take these kids and give them a good Christian home, but their own parents throw them to the dogs. I hear things like this everyday, but it never ceases to amaze me at the stupidity of people like this. They truly should be put away for life.

1/05/2006 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Yes, this type of things make me very angry. I just want to shout at the parents "what were you thinking??"
My wife and kids are second only to God. I would never do something so stupid as this. I don't even leave them unattended in the car when I stop for gas!!

1/05/2006 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

William Blackstone said "If you would rather not have the media do your thinking for you, consider an alternative..
Ask questions! (Remember, If it's in the Enquirer, You know it's true!)"


Not sure where you're headed with that comment.

1/10/2006 06:39:00 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

William Blackstone said "Be a Berean, brother."

Thank you. I know of no other way to be.

1/10/2006 07:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home